Noteworthy from the past
In 1716, the building history of the Innere Enge already mentions the “repair” of the so-called “Viererhäusch”.
In 1762, the building, which had already been renamed “Viererhaus” somewhat earlier, was adapted to the needs of summer guests, namely the use of the whey cure.
The chronicle continues: “The Engi, with the tenant’s dwelling and the attached spacious hall, situated on a plateau covered with trees, occupied in summer with tables and benches, a quarter of an hour from the Aarberger Gate and with a splendid distant view of the high Alps and the snow mountains, became the most pleasant place of amusement in Bern’s surroundings, most frequently visited by locals and strangers alike.”
The following can be read in the Burgerbibliothek: “The Engi and the Engihalden are recognised and confirmed as the exclusive property of the Burgerschaft of Bern according to the Aussteuerungsurkunde (taxation deed) of the 20th autumn month of 1803 and especially by the attached settlement with the government, dated 14 March and 12 June 1804.”
In 1810, a “Grand-Déjeuner” was organised for Empress Joséphine, wife of Napoleon I; it is said that she and her guests enjoyed the exceptional view of the Alps in the romantic park.
1830 +1857 Rifle festivals were considered special, significant highlights in the history of the Innere Enge.
In 1863, the Burgergemeinde Bern, as the owner of the building and the land, decided to build a new building.
This new building was completed between 1864 and 1866.
In 1914, the Innere Enge was part of the National Exhibition.
In 1945/46, almost 100 years later, the building was extended and renovated.
In 1981, the Bernese authorities approved a large-scale project, against which the community initiative “Save the Innere Enge” was launched shortly afterwards. The initiative demanded that this area be protected as a green zone against further encroachment.
In 1984, this initiative was accepted against the will of the municipal council.
In 1991, Hans Zurbrügg and Marianne Gauer, as the initiators, concluded a building lease agreement with the owner of the property, the Burgergemeinde Bern, through the newly founded Innere Enge AG. The conversion concept with all the details and the interior design were developed by Innere Enge AG. In close cooperation with the municipal monument preservation office and the Bernese authorities, the Innere Enge was renovated as faithfully as possible to the original in a record time of eleven months.